Support centers available for academic assistance
While some say it takes a village to raise a child, many at UCCS think it takes a team to educate a student. The five arms of the Centers for Academic Excellence exist to provide assistance to those in need of extra instruction.
Information for all the centers can be viewed online at uccs.edu/~academiccenters. Here’s a summary of the services each center provides:
Columbine Hall 312
This center offers aid in both oral and visual presentations, including PowerPoint, small group and interviewing skills. Students can arrange mock interviews to practice their public speaking skills.
It also provides tutoring for three introductory level philosophy courses.
Their online content, comprised of digital brochures, slides and videos, provides auxiliary assistance for those unable to schedule time to seek help at the center.
The Center for Excellence in Communication can be reached by phone at 255-4770 or by email at CEC@uccs.edu.
Dwire Hall 270
Students looking to further their training in any of the six foreign languages offered by the university can utilize this center’s numerous resources.
The center hosts communication tables that allow students to practice languages and exchange information about different cultures and experiences. It also has a library of texts and media in a number of languages available to checkout.
The Language Technology Center, located next door, has 29 computers, all with 13 Rosetta Stone language packages. There are also three LCD screens with VHS and DVD players and a MacPro for digital media.
Additionally, support for anthropology, psychology, geography and social science economic course is also available.
For more information on services and events call 255-3690.
Engineering Building 233
The math center provides tutoring in computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics and statistics, from more than three dozen students and staff. Each subject has specific dates and times for walk-in tutoring (specific information is available on the center’s website at uccs.edu/~mathcenter).
Guided study groups, called supplemental instruction , for more than 15 math courses are offered by the center. Specific information for SI sessions is available online.
The center can be contacted at 255-3687. For those unable to carve out time to go to the center, online tutoring is accessible through Blackboard.
Centennial Hall 204
Like the math center, the science center provides individual tutoring for numerous lecture and lab courses. Students can also utilize textbooks, reference materials and computers with graphing and science software. Online tutoring is also available.
Those looking for a leg up in chemistry, biology and physics can schedule extra instruction sessions. These sessions, held in the center’s adjacent instructional room, are designed to foster critical thinking through problem-solving exercises.
Contact the staff at 255-3689.
Columbine Hall 316
For additional assistance on written assignments, students can schedule a 50-minute consultation appointment at the writing center or online. Students and staff assist with every step of the process from brainstorming to sentence level concerns and final editing issues.
The center also offers workshops on topics including citation styles, peer editing and other writing processes. Most run roughly an hour in length. Available for individuals or groups, workshops should be scheduled at least two weeks in advance.
As with the other centers, online consultations are available by appointment. Students with a speaker and microphone, and who have downloaded Blackboard IM, can receive real-time feedback on their papers.
The center is available by phone at 255-4336.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Scribe News Articles
Recent The Scribe News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SCRIBE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SCRIBE NEWS
- New parking design, permit price increase expected
- Support centers available for academic assistance
- UCCS cuts student employee hours due to Affordable Care Act
- Top 10 coping skills for stressed freshmen
- Club Sports Association looks to distance from SGA
- Sterling price could cost us all free speech
- Engineering students cap off their education with expo
RECENT THE SCRIBE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists